After Donald Trump halted the funding to the World Health Organization, the United States says that it will observe properly that the world body is being run properly. The acting head of the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID), the key U.S government agency administers foreign aid, announced it on Wednesday.
USAID Chief John Barsa assured that Washington will look for alternative partners outside the WHO to continue to carry out “important work” such as vaccines, to ensure there is no disruption to U.S. aid efforts.
Additionally, to respond to the coronavirus crisis, the US has already declared more than $270 million in additional foreign assistance provided by Congress. While interacting with the media persons, Barsa said the review will solve many management questions.
He said, the key question will be, “Is the management of the World Health Organization running it the way it should be run?”
Last week, President Trump decided to stop funding for the Geneva-based WHO after accusing it of bias towards China and promoting Chinese “disinformation” about the virus. The WHO officials defended the agency’s handling of the pandemic, saying it altered member states of the outbreak earlier this year.
The United States is the biggest overall donor of the World Health Organization (WHO), contributing over $400 million in 2019, which is nearly 15% of its budget. Last week, some of the U.S. officials told Reuters that Washington could redirect these funds to other aid groups.