On Tuesday, a senior U.S official called for a U.N. Security Council response to the attacks on Saudi oil facilities that the United States blames on Iran. However, there is no confirmation of what step he will take whether Washington might secure Russian cooperation.

“We do see a role for the U.N. Security Council to play. Saudi was attacked and it would be appropriate for them to call upon the council. But we first need to gather the releasable information,” the senior U.S. official told reporters.

The officer who talked over anonymity did not explain what he meant by “releasable information”. A second U.S. official told Reuters, the US believes that the attacks that paralyzed Saudi Arabian oil facilities last weekend originated in southwestern Iran.

While it is unclear what action by the 15-member Security Council the first official predicted, there are many options that U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has suggested over the past year but that Washington has not actively followed.

But there became no solution as diplomats say Russia and China, France and Britain may protect Iran. Russia has already warned against jumping to conclusions over who was behind the attack.

In 2016, most U.N. Sanctions on Iran were lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers. Pompeo, last year, urging the council to ban Iran from working on ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons and from carrying out test launches.  He also called for “inspection and interdiction measures, in ports and on the high seas,” to keep Iran from circumventing arms restrictions.

Related Articles