Two affected tankers reached at the Emirati coast locations safely, after they were pitched by explosions in Gulf waters, in an incident Saudi Arabia charged on its regional arch-rival Iran.
The Japanese led Keokuk Courageous was transferring sensitively combustible menthol through the Gulf of Oman on Thursday while it faced attack along with the Norwegian led Front Altair – the strike in a month in the strategic shipping line.
US President Donald Trump has claimed the operation had Iran “written all over it” declining the spirited refusal of Tehran and as key Gulf ally of Washington, Saudi Arabia has also outraged out against Tehran.
Since the attacks in his first public comments, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman claimed in his remarks published Sunday that he would not delay tackling any threats to the oil-rich kingdom.
He told pan-Arab daily Asharq Al-Awsat, that “we do not want a war in the region… But we won’t hesitate to deal with any threat to our people, our sovereignty, our territorial integrity, and our vital interests.
He said Iran replied to a tour to Tehran by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, “ by attacking two tankers, one of which was Japanese”.
Abe had been on an unrivaled tour to the Iranian capital in a bid to eliminate tensions between Washington and the Islamic republic while the attacks occurred.
Grainy footage has been released by the US military and it showed an Iranian patrol boat removing an “ unexploded limpet mine ” from the Japanese vessel.