On Sunday, the Taliban has termed the decision of the United States President Donald Trump to call off peace talks with the outfit as “unbelievable”, claiming that his “disappointing” post has “damaged his credibility”.
Suhail Shaheen, the spokesman for the Talibani Political Office in Qatar’s Doha said in a Twitter post in Arabic, “A few days ago, we finalized an agreement with the US, the text of which was sent to the leaders of both delegations and provided to Qatar. Everyone was satisfied. It was agreed that Qatar would announce the deal. However, the disappointing tweets by President Trump are unbelievable and damaged his credibility.”
On Saturday, President Trump has announced that he was calling off “peace negotiations” with the Taliban and has canceled a “secret meeting” with the group of representatives at Camp David in the wake of terror attack in Kabul, which killed 12 soldiers, including a US soldier.
Despite President Trump’s decision, the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has informed that the Administration is still working towards a deal but it won’t proceed until the Taliban delivers on its promises.
The United States has been negotiating with the Talibani’s in the last few months at Doha, irrespective of the outfits hesitation to hold direct discussion with the Afghan Government.
Earlier this week, the United States Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad has said that President Trump’s Administration had reached a deal “in principle” to withdraw over 5000 troops from Afghanistan in exchange for assurance by the Taliban.