On Tuesday, the United States President Donald Trump stood by his comments that part of migrant deal with Mexico declared over the weekend had yet to be made public, even after Mexican officials introduced new details of the agreement.
Without detailing, President Trump tweets, “Biggest part of deal with Mexico has not yet been revealed!”
When enquired about what other side deals could be in the new deal, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders didn’t comment, claims she didn’t want to go ahead of the President or Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador in making any sort of declarations.
Instead, she told source in an interview that Mexician officials had said that “further action could be announced and that we will continue those discussions.”
President Trump further said that Mexico would soon unveil parts of the agreement with no details other than just a portion would have to be taken up by Mexican Congress.
Announced previously undisclosed detailing of Friday’s deal, Mexician officials informed that they had 45-days to manifest that increased enforcement efforts were fruitful in reducing migrant flows. If failed, they would discuss about the additional measures with the United States.
The US wanted Mexico to be declared as a safe third nation, in which asylum seekers would seek safe harbor instead of the US, a demand Mexico had long dismissed.
On Monday, Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard has released his previous opposition to the idea in comments, but claims any such arrangement should share the asylum load with other Latin American nations.
He further said that these effective measures have to be necessarily taken up with Mexican Senate.
Ebrard said, “If we don’t have results on what we’re doing (in 45 days), we’ll start conversations on what they want.”
On Friday, the deal was hit to prevent import tariffs on all Mexican goods, which President Trump had affirm to impose unless Mexico did more to restrain migration.