The United States President Donald Trump has suffered a new legal setback after a federal judge has temporarily blocked a measure that would need immigrants to prove that they had health insurance or could afford medical aid.
The United States District Judge Michael Simon has issued a twenty-eight-days restraining order during a rare session in the courtroom in Portland, Oregon, as per the copy of the decision seen by the AFP.
The new health-coverage requirement had been set to take effect from today.
The immigration-defense groups had wanted the injunction has said that the new requirement would have been particularly difficult for low-income migrants and would favor others from wealthier nations.
However, the White House has condemned the ruling.
Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham has said in a statement that “it is wrong and unfair for a single district court judge to thwart the policies that the President determined would best protect the United States health care system.”
On October 4, the Presidential Proclamation has said that only immigrants, who would not “financially burden the United States health care system”, would be offered visas.
The fight against illegal immigration has been a significant part of the policies-led by President Trump.
Several of his immigration decisions have also been blocked in the US Court.
The Republican Administration has often appealed adverse decisions to the Supreme Court, which twice this summer found in favor of Donald Trump.
However, the 18-page ruling of Judge Simon seemed to leave the administration with the limited room to craft a rebel.
He has noted at least five reasons that the health insurance status of an individual couldn’t be used as the only determiner of the admissibility of a person.