On Thursday, Afghanistan and the United States said that they have agreed to speed up efforts to reach and negotiated finish to the conflict in the war-ravaged nation.
In a joint statement, Kabul and Washington said that the agreement had been discussed over a telephonic conversation between Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
President Ghani had asked for detailing following the US President’s comment that the United States can easily win the war in Afghanistan but did not “want to kill 10 million people.”
Mr. Pompeo assured the Afghan President that “there has been no change to President Trumps South Asia strategy, including US commitment to a conditions-based drawdown” of troops, reads the statement.
It claims that President Ghani and Mr. Pompeo had also agreed that “now is the time to accelerate efforts to reach a negotiated end to the war in Afghanistan.”
The Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph Dunford, and Washington’s Special Envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, had been sent to Kabul to “discuss in detail the next steps on the road to peace,” added the statement.
Mr. Khalilzad is then likely to head to Doha to resume talks with the Taliban.
In the past year, he has scheduled several meetings with the Islamist Militants, and the most-recent being on July 9 and in Doha.
However, the major trouble has so far been the refusal of Taliban to directly negotiate with the Government of Afghanistan.
Over 10 people – including several women, and a child – were executed and scores more injuries by a number of blasts that hits the Afghan capital before the election season.
The Islamic State group’s Afghanistan affiliate has claimed responsibility for the first two blasts, while the Taliban has claimed the third. However, the US and Afghan security personnel has blamed the Taliban for all three recorded explosions.