On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo attacked China for giving “disinformation” over the coronavirus. He said the group of Seven powers were united in opposing China regarding the matter while Europe allies emphasized cooperation to fight the global pandemic.
Pompeo has strictly called it a “Wuhan virus” and shared a common view with the top diplomats of the other G7 countries – Britain, Canada, France, Italy and Japan. “Every one of the nations that were at that meeting this morning was deeply aware of the disinformation campaign that the Chinese Communist Party is engaged in to try and deflect from what has really taken place,” Pompeo told reporters.
An annual meeting that was scheduled for Pittsburgh was cancelled by the US and so foreign ministers from all the seven countries met via video conference on Wednesday. They talked about a wide range of foreign crises where the allies are working together.
According to Pompeo, China “has been and continues to be engaged in” a campaign through social media that has included conspiracy theories of US involvement.
Meanwhile, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman expressed anger towards President Trump’s administration who tweeted claiming the virus was brought to Wuhan, where it was first detected last year. The COVID-19 virus was first discovered in December at a seafood market in Wuhan.
More than 21,000 people have been killed worldwide by the virus so far. However, Beijing has controlled the pandemic and has sent aid overseas which includes 40 tons of medical supplies to Italy with the highest death toll.
Pompeo has clearly blamed China for putting the world at risk by initially suppressing the news of the virus. On the other hand, Beijing has accused the Trump administration of seeking a scapegoat for its own failures.