A US congressional panel told Tuesday, it was commanding the top US executives from US tech firms for explaining the online proliferation of the “terrible” video of deadly massacre in New Zealand that were spilled on Facebook and then went viral on the other platforms. The House Committee on Homeland Security asked for an orientation by the four tech executives, considering it “critically important” to filter the kind of violent images seen in the video.
The panel questioned for an orientation from Facebook Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.
The chairman of the committee, Bennie Thompson told it was problematic to know the video going viral despite the promise made by the global Internet Forum of the industry to Counter Terrorism.
Thompson told in a letter which is published to media, “ Just last week — nearly two years after you formed GIFT C — a terrorist exploited your platforms to disseminate across the world a horrific video of mass violence”.
He also added, “I must emphasize how critically important it is for you to prioritize the removal of this sort of sensitive, violent content. ”
In the mosque attack, 50 people have been killed, the attacker shared a video on Facebook Live, which was then copied and reshared elsewhere.
Facebook claimed it has removed a pitching 1.5 million videos showing harrowing viral footage of the Christchurch attacks. The live stream was checked fewer than 200 times but the social platforms were unable to block the video from being viral.