A new record was created in the Commonwealth Games (CWG) by Jitu Rai who scored 235.1 in the final of the men’s air pistol event in Gold Coast to snatch the gold medal for India while Om Prakash Mitharwal Bagged the bronze.
While Mehuli Ghosh won silver in women’s 10m air rifle along with Apurvi Chandela who took the bronze in the same event.
Jitu Rai from India won the gold in men’s 10m air pistol category at the Commonwealth games after creating a new record on Monday in Gold Coast. India was proud to have a double podium finish in this event where the bronze medal was also won by Om Prakash Mitharval.
The final score sheet for the three top winners of the men’s 10m air pistol is as follows:
- Rai of India at 235.1 with a new CWG record getting gold
- Kerry Bell of Australia with 233.5 getting silver
- Om Mitharwal of India with 214.3 getting bronze
At the same time, Mehuli Ghosh finished with a silver medal after a tight fight for the gold medal against Martina Lindsay Veloso of Singapore while Apurvi Chandela of India won bronze.
Ghosh was trailing Veloso till the final shot scoring 10.9 to go to the shootout where her score was 9.9 against the Singapore shooter who managed to score 10.3 thus Ghosh missed the gold just by a whisker.
While Apurva created a new CWG record of 423.2 to bag the topmost spot in the earlier qualifying stage where she bettered her own previous CWG mark of 415.6 that she had set at Glasgow, Scotland in the year 2014, while Ghosh scored 413.7 to finish fifth in the qualifying stage.
India’s break up for their current medal tally of 13 is as follows:
- 7 gold
- 3 silver
- 3 bronze
At present the top rankings as per medal tally are:
- 1. Australia
- 2. England
- 3. Canada
- 4. India
News about India’s performance in some other sports is as follows:
- Table Tennis: By defeating Singapore 3-2 in the semifinal men’s team of India will be playing the winner of Nigeria vs England match in the finals.
The women’s team won the gold by defeating Singapore 3-1 in the finals.
- Swimming: Virdhawal Khade crashed out of the event by registering 23.11 seconds in the 6th heat of the men’s freestyle event of 50 meters. Srihari Nataraj crashed out of the backstroke event of 200 meters after finishing sixth out of seven contestants in the heat number 2.
- Boxing: India’s Gaurav Solanki is participating in the round of 16 for men’s 52 kg category while another boxer Manish Kaushik will be facing Michael Alexander of Trinidad and Tobago in the round of 16 for men’s 60 kg.
- Weightlifting: Pardeep Singh won the silver in the category of 105 kg against Samoa’s Sanele Mao who is already the reigning gold medalist. Singh lifted a total of 352 kg (152 kg+200 kg) to bag the silver. He also lifted 211 kg to create a new CWG record in the clean and jerk category.