On Monday the US prosecutors said that Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo will not face any charges over an alleged rape as they did not have enough evidence to proceed. The case was charged against him ten years ago in Las Vegas.

A district attorney in the state of Nevada said it would not prosecute the Portuguese soccer player because it “cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt” that a sexual assault occurred. In 2009, a former model, Kathryn Mayorga alleges that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel. 

One year after the incident the former Manchester United and Real Madrid forward reached a financial settlement with her. Ronaldo has always denied the allegations of sexual assault and insisted that their encounter was consensual. 

The Clark County District Attorney’s Office said that Mayorga, who was identified only as “V”, reported them on June 13, 2009, that she had been the victim of a sexual assault. At that time police could not carry out “any meaningful investigation” as she declined to confess who was the offender and where it happened, the office said in a statement.

In August Mayorga urged the police to reopen the case and named Ronaldo as the alleged assailant. The case was reopened “in spite of the passage of over nine years,” prosecutors said. “Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.” prosecutors added.

Mayorga said that her emotional trauma at the time did not allow her to participate in the mediation process for the financial settlement. The player has yet not respond on social media. “I know who I am and what I did. The truth will come out,” he told France Football magazine.

“And the people who criticize me and who expose my life today, who make a song and dance about it, these people will see,” he added. The allegations have taken a toll on his life, and in particular, on his family, he said.

Related Articles
Next Story
Going Viral
Donald Trump And Turkish President Announces Washington Talks On November 13

Donald Trump And Turkish President Announces Washington Talks On November 13

by Chandrani Sarkar November 7, 2019
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will travel next week to the United States of America to meet President Donald Trump, said the Turkish Presidency on Wednesday, amid rising tensions between the two nations.  During a telephonic conversation, the Turkish Presidency has said that “the two leaders reconfirmed that they will meet in Washington on Wednesday, November 13, on President Trump’s invitation.” President Erdogan had threatened to cancel his visit due...